6 Reasons You Need to Switch to LED Light Bulbs

6 Reasons You Need To Switch To LED Light Bulbs | GreyDock Blog
Article Intro

Still on the fence about making the switch? These six reasons will help you make a decision.

Updating your home’s lighting shouldn’t stop at buying shiny new fixtures. Light bulbs play a major role in how your home is lit, from cost to efficiency. Each year, more and more homeowners are opting for LED bulbs.

Still on the fence? Here are six reasons why you need to switch to LED light bulbs.

1. They’re Affordable

LED bulbs of today are miles ahead of what they were a decade ago including the price tag. Technological advancements have made it easier for manufacturers to make affordable yet long-lasting bulbs. That said, you still might pay a little more if you opt for an LED bulb over incandescent, but you’ll make that up over time.  

2. They Last Longer

One of the biggest perks of switching to LED light bulbs is that they’re long-lasting. Incandescent bulbs generally last about 1,000 to 2,000 hours. It’s a big jump to the estimated 25,000-hour lifespan of an LED bulb.

To put that in perspective, 25,000 hours is roughly 1,040 days. If you left an LED bulb on all day, every day, it’ll stay lit for nearly 3 years straight.

Switching to LED light bulbs saves you money, energy and cuts back on waste.

3. They Save You Money

It can seem daunting to replace a houseful of incandescent light bulbs. But when you switch from incandescent to LED bulbs, the amount of electricity you consume goes down more than 80 percent.

Most of the energy used up in incandescent bulbs is given off as heat. As small as it seems, incandescents can really heat a room up—LEDs don’t have that problem.

4. They’re Brighter

Let’s talk lumens. LED light bulb brightness is measured in lumens, not watts, so you’ll have to look for the equivalent while shopping. The higher the lumens, the brighter the bulb.

Used to buying 60-watt bulbs? Take a peek at our watts-to-lumens cheat sheet to see what you’ll need after switching.

LED vs Incandescent Bulbs: Watts to Lumens Conversion Chart | GreyDock Blog

Look for bulbs packaged at 800 lumens—or, the 60W equivalent. As you can see, you need less wattage for a brighter bulb when you switch to LED lights. Wondering why? 90% of incandescent bulb energy wasted as heat (the other 10% being light). That’s why they need more wattage than LED light bulbs to create the same amount of brightness.

5. They Reduce Waste

Who doesn’t want to be more eco-friendly these days? Since LED bulbs last longer, you won’t have to replace them as often. Think about all the packaging and light bulbs you won’t need to toss after a few months. If only ditching plastic was as easy!

6. They’re Not as Blue as You Think

You used to be able to spot LEDs from miles away thanks to the bluish hue they gave off. Today you can find bulbs in a few color configurations: soft white (a warmer tone), neutral white (a bit cooler) and daylight (higher contrast that’s great for task lighting).

It’s all dependent on where the bulb falls on the kelvin scale. A high kelvin rating means cooler light and low kelvins means a warmer, yellowish light.

Switching to LED bulbs cuts the amount of electricity you consume by 80%. | GreyDock Blog

If you’re thinking of updating your lighting this year, don’t just stop at new fixtures. LED light bulbs are a smart, eco-friendly alternative to standard incandescents.

Are you going to make the switch? Let us know in the comments!

Never miss a post

Manage your newsletter subscriptions
Select the newsletter(s) to which you want to subscribe.
Subscribe for design updates, inspiration and advice
The subscriber's email address.